Taglit-Birthright Israel -Applications are NOW open for the December 2017 season
Applications are NOW open for the December 2017 season
Please read all information below carefully before applying
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Birthright Israel is an innovative partnership between the people of Israel through the Government of Israel, private philanthropists through the Birthright Israel Foundation and Jewish communities around the world. Through this, Birthright Israel provides a gift of a free 10-day educational tour of Israel for young Jewish adults aged 18-26* who have never before participated in a peer-group educational trip to Israel.
The ZFA, together with the support and the initiative of the Keren Hayesod, is proud to represent the Australian Jewish community as the local partner in this exciting and ambitious project. The ZFA works in partnership with AUJS, Kangarusski, Hagshama and Chabad on Campus to operate Birthright Israel. By the end of 2015, over 4000 participants will have travelled from Australia on a Birthright Israel program from Australia.
Round 37 – December 2017 (Winter 2018 Season)
In December 2017 there will be 2 program providers to choose from, Chavaya and AUJS.
Please consider your choice carefully as you can only apply for one Birthright Israel program. Please also consider the dates and age criteria when making your selection.
PROGRAM 1: Chavaya
Chavaya works with Jewish Students on university campuses around Victoria and New South Wales. Chabad holds regular events, some on a daily basis such as shiurim on campus and evening classes as well as weekly or monthly shabbatonim for students and other young adults.
Departing Australia – 3rd of December
Trip Dates: 4/12/2017 – 13/12/2017
Departing Israel – 13th of December
CONTACT Yehuda Devries 0400 502 683 Email: email@example.com
PROGRAM 2: AUJS
AUJS is the structured program for Jewish students at major Universities. Since 1948, AUJS aims to develop and strengthen Jewish identity on tertiary campuses across Australia and New Zealand. AUJS run two trips each year – one in July and one in December.
Departing Australia – 10 December 2017
Trip dates: 11/12/2017 – 20/12/2017
Departing Israel – 20th of December 2017
CONTACT: Jonathan Sherman 0433473251 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
IMPORTANT INFORMATION BEFORE APPLYING FOR BIRTHRIGHT ISRAEL:
Participants are required to:
- Pay a deposit (refundable) ($260US) in indication of good intentions. $10US will not be refundable. Please note you are only required to pay the deposit once you have been formally accepted onto the program.
- Agree to the Online Waiver in the application form.
- Submit a copy of your valid passport (needs to be valid for at least 6 months after your return flight home.
- Provide proof of purchased travel insurance.
- Provide a medical form from their doctor. The doctor must know their medical history and know the participant for at least 12 months.
Eligible applicants who are Israeli to must provide a copy of their Israeli Army Exemption. Those who do not have one will need to apply for one ASAP. If you have not applied for one by the interview stage you will not be considered for the trip and will not be interviewed. It can take up to 3 months to receive one from the time you apply for it therefore we urge you to apply for one today to ensure you receive it in time for the trip. If you do not receive it in time your place will be given to another applicant.
You are considered Israeli if you meet one or more of the following criteria:
1) You were born in Israel,
2) One or both of your parents were born in Israel, or at some stage in their lives made Aliyah,
3) You have an Israeli passport,
4) You have previously made Aliyah.
You can contact the Israeli Embassy in Canberra on 02 6215 4510 or email email@example.com
THE GIFT OF A TRIP TO ISRAEL FROM BIRTHRIGHT ISRAEL IS DESIGNED TO OFFER A FIRST-TIME EDUCATIONAL PEER EXPERIENCE. AS SUCH, WHILE THE TRIP IS AVAILABLE TO YOUNG JEWS ALL OVER THE WORLD AND FROM VARIOUS BACKGROUNDS, THERE ARE GUIDELINES FOR ELIGIBILITY.
All participants must be between 18 and 26 and have finished high school by the time their trip departs. If you are turning 27 prior to May 1st for summer trips, or December 1st for winter trips, you are not eligible to participate in the upcoming round of trips.
Eligible individuals are those who identify as Jewish and are recognised as such by their local community or by one of the recognised denominations of Judaism. Applicants must also have at least one Jewish birth parent, or have completed Jewish conversion through a recognized Jewish denomination.
Previous Israel Experience
If you have been to Israel before but only with your family or on other personal business, you are still eligible.
You are not eligible if you have been to Israel for more than three months since the age of 12. You are also not eligible if you were in Israel as part of a touring group, educational program, study program or an organized extended residential program since you were 18 years of age or older. If you went to Israel on an educational, peer-group program with your high school, before the age of 18 (for a duration of less than 3 months) then you are still eligible.
There are a few programs such as volunteering for Magen David Adom, participating in the Maccabiah games and UIA/JNF family missions that do not affect your eligibility.
If you were born in Israel or are an Israeli citizen you are only eligible if you left Israel before the age of 12. If you have served in the Israeli Army or volunteered on an Israel Army base, you are not eligible.
If you were born in Israel or have ever held Israeli citizenship or have held an Israeli passport you are not eligible unless you prove by official documentation that you left Israel before the age of 12. If you are accepted to the program you will need to obtain army exemption papers from your local Israeli consulate.
Jewish Studies Students
Students in exclusively Jewish Studies programs in any institute of higher learning, including Jewish teacher training programs, Jewish Studies Programs (not including Jewish Studies major or minor candidates at secular institutions), rabbinical programs, yeshivot/seminaries, Jewish communal service programs and the like are not eligible for the Taglit-Birthright Israel gift while they are still in the study program.
Conditions – please read before applying.
- Applicants must register online with Birthright. Please note: Applicants can only select ONE Birthright program to apply to.
- Important Notes
- Each program can, at its discretion, decide the appropriate age range for its program. Please check with the program organiser for more information.
- Priority is given to 26 year olds, as well as participants that have missed out on previous lotteries.
- Participants may extend their tickets (at their own cost) after the end of their Taglit-Birthright Israel program, but may only extend their ticket for a maximum of three (3) months. Participants must return to Australia within 3 months of the program ending.
- All participants must purchase compulsory travel insurance
- Breakfasts, dinners and all meals on Shabbat are covered by Birthright Israel. Participants will need to purchase their own lunch throughout the program. A budget of $100 should adequately cover this.
- Participants traditionally each give a tip of approximately $90AUD for the Israeli staff on the program. Group leaders will typically collect this at the beginning of the trip.
- Participants must have a valid passport with at least 6 months validity on it from the date of return to Australia. If a participant needs to renew their passport, it must be done so at least 1 month prior to departure for the trip.
- Participants are required to:
- Pay a deposit ($250US) in indication of good intentions.
- Agree to the Online Waiver and Alcohol Waiver in the application form.
- Submit a copy of their valid passport (needs to be valid for at least 6 months after your return flight home)
- Provide proof of purchased travel insurance.
- Eligible participants who were born in Israel or lived in Israel and left after the age of 12 and anyone with one Israeli parent must apply for an army exemption and Israeli passport from the Israeli Embassy in Canberra before he applies and submit an online application.
Principal Australian Partner
Age Group: Array - Array
Religious Affiliation: None